• About us
  • Team
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Sunday, August 23, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
World's first weekly chronicle of development news
  • Blitz Highlights
    • Special
    • Spotlight
    • Insight
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
  • Opinion
  • Legal
  • Perspective
  • Nation
    • East
    • West
    • North
    • South
  • Business & Economy
  • World
  • Hindi Edition
  • International Editions
    • Dubai
    • Tanzania
    • United Kingdom
    • USA
  • Blitz India Business
  • Blitz Highlights
    • Special
    • Spotlight
    • Insight
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
  • Opinion
  • Legal
  • Perspective
  • Nation
    • East
    • West
    • North
    • South
  • Business & Economy
  • World
  • Hindi Edition
  • International Editions
    • Dubai
    • Tanzania
    • United Kingdom
    • USA
  • Blitz India Business
No Result
View All Result
World's first weekly chronicle of development news
No Result
View All Result

UK varsities not on UAE list

Abu Dhabi axes funds for students keen to study in UK

by Blitz India Media
January 12, 2026
in Dubai
0
Abu Dhabi
Blitz Bureau

NEW DELHI: The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has restricted funding for its citizens who want to take admissions to British universities over fears that campuses are being radicalised by an extremist Islamist group, according to Financial Times.

Abu Dhabi’s decision to exclude UK institutions from a list of universities eligible for state scholarships is over the UK’s decision not to ban the Islamist Muslim Brotherhood group, the paper reported. The group is proscribed as a terrorist organisation by the UAE, which has also campaigned for European nations to ban it over extremist activities.

When UK officials asked about the absence of British universities, UAE officials made it clear that the omission was deliberate. The news report quoted a source as saying that they said it was not an “oversight”.

“[The UAE] don’t want their kids to be radicalised on campus,” the source said. The UAE has also said it will not recognise degrees from institutions not on its approved list, diminishing the value of UK qualifications for Emiratis.

Abu Dhabi recently excluded British universities from a list of global institutions eligible for state scholarships. The decision affects Emirati students who rely on Government funding to study abroad. The list included universities in the US, Australia, France and Israel. However, UK universities were not included. The UK has been a popular study destination for Emirati students, who benefit from generous state scholarships.

UK data.

Official UK data shows that in the 2023- 24 academic year, 70 students at UK universities were reported for possible referral to the government’s Prevent deradicalisation programme due to signs of “Islamist radicalisation”. This was nearly double the number reported the previous year, out of a total higher education population of almost 3 million students, the news report said.

In the year ending September 2025, only 213 Emirati students were granted UK study visas. This was down 27 per cent from the previous year and 55 per cent lower than in 2022.

Nigel Farage, leader of the Reform UK party, has promised to ban the Muslim Brotherhood if he becomes prime minister. The UAE Government funded Farage’s visit to the country last year, according to a recent Financial Times report.

Related Posts

Dubai Intelligent Cities
Dubai

Digital transformation

August 10, 2026
UAE Tourism
Dubai

Vibrant tourism, renewed heritage

August 10, 2026
India Steps Up Safety Measures for Gulf Seafarers
Dubai

Indian missions in Gulf providing full s

August 10, 2026
India UAE Joint Committee on Consular Affairs
Dubai

Shared commitment

July 27, 2026
Passport Fees Hiked in India From July 1, 2026
Dubai

Passport services outsourced

July 27, 2026
India UAE Economic Partnership
Dubai

Unlocking new opportunities

July 27, 2026
Load More
Next Post
Restoring health subsidies

Restoring health subsidies

Recent News

Seven projects worth Rs 427.80 crore were commissioned at Paradip Port on 21 August, including a Rs 352 crore deepening to 18.5 metres.
News

India Business News: Paradip Port, Mobile Scheme, Sugar, Monsoon, FDI and Forex Reserves

by Blitz India Media
August 22, 2026
0

Port and Rail Move Together on the East Coast NEW DELHI: MThe Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways commissioned an...

Read moreDetails
Madhya Pradesh Year of Youth 2027

MP declares 2027 as ‘Year of Youth’

August 21, 2026
India-Israel FTA Talks: Two More Rounds Expected by February 2027

Israel FTA talks need two more rounds

August 21, 2026
Master Plan for Delhi envisages 40 lakh affordable homes

Master Plan for Delhi envisages 40 lakh affordable homes

August 21, 2026
badminton court

Delhi Hosts the Badminton Worlds for the First Time Since 2009

August 20, 2026

Blitz Highlights

  • Special
  • Spotlight
  • Insight
  • Entertainment
  • Health

International Editions

  • US (New York)
  • UK (London)
  • Middle East (Dubai)
  • Tanzania (Africa)

Nation

  • East
  • West
  • South
  • North
  • Hindi Edition

E-paper

  • India
  • Hindi E-paper
  • Dubai E-Paper
  • USA E-Paper
  • UK-Epaper
  • Tanzania E-paper

Useful Links

  • About us
  • Team
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact

©2024 Blitz India Media -Building A New Nation

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

    No Result
    View All Result
    • Blitz Highlights
      • Special
      • Spotlight
      • Insight
      • Entertainment
      • Sports
    • Opinion
    • Legal
    • Perspective
    • Nation
      • East
      • West
      • North
      • South
    • Business & Economy
    • World
    • Hindi Edition
    • International Editions
      • Dubai
      • Tanzania
      • United Kingdom
      • USA
    • Blitz India Business

    ©2024 Blitz India Media -Building A New Nation