Blitz Bureau
NEW DELHI: THE situation in the Middle East remains fragile as no consensus has been reached between the United States and Iran, especially after President Donald Trump rejected Tehran’s response to its 14-point proposal.
While the US president thinks “it’s unacceptable”, Iran says the US must abandon its “one-sided approach” and accept Tehran’s “legitimate demands,” including ending the war, lifting blockades, halting maritime piracy, and releasing frozen Iranian assets.
Iran has also called for an end to the war in Lebanon, where US ally Israel is fighting Iran-backed Hezbollah militants. Tehran also emphasized its sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz and demanded compensation for war damage.
Calling the proposal “weak” and “piece of garbage”, Trump said he didn’t “even finish reading it,” adding that the US-Iran ceasefire is on ‘life support’. He further said that he is still aiming for “complete victory” in the war against Iran.
- US rejects Iran proposals
- Trump mulling fresh attacks
- lIran ready for all options
Iran’s parliament speaker on May 11 said his country’s military stood ready to “teach a lesson” to any aggressor. Iran’s foreign ministry said earlier that its proposal, which state media reported included recognition of its sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz, was “reasonable” and “generous.”
Some Trump aides said he is now more seriously considering a resumption of major combat operations in Iran, according to sources. Meanwhile, oil prices are climbing after Trump’s dismissal of Iran’s latest terms, sparking fears of a fresh escalation in the conflict that would keep the vital Strait of Hormuz closed even longer.
THE U.S. government on May 11 announced sanctions against three people and nine companies, including four based in Hong Kong and four in the United Arab Emirates, for aiding Iran’s shipment of oil to China. The ninth company is based in Oman.
The US Treasury move follows sanctions announced last on individuals and companies aiding Iranian purchases of weapons and components used to make drones and ballistic missiles.
It comes days before US President Donald Trump’s planned meeting with Xi Jinping, where he is expected to press the Chinese leader to help resolve the standoff with Iran and reopen the critical Strait of Hormuz.
Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said the Trump administration would keep using sanctions to deprive the Iranian government and military of funding for weapons, its nuclear program or support for proxies in the region..













