• About us
  • Team
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
Sunday, August 23, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
World's first weekly chronicle of development news
  • Blitz Highlights
    • Special
    • Spotlight
    • Insight
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
  • Opinion
  • Legal
  • Perspective
  • Nation
    • East
    • West
    • North
    • South
  • Business & Economy
  • World
  • Hindi Edition
  • International Editions
    • Dubai
    • Tanzania
    • United Kingdom
    • USA
  • Blitz India Business
  • Blitz Highlights
    • Special
    • Spotlight
    • Insight
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
  • Opinion
  • Legal
  • Perspective
  • Nation
    • East
    • West
    • North
    • South
  • Business & Economy
  • World
  • Hindi Edition
  • International Editions
    • Dubai
    • Tanzania
    • United Kingdom
    • USA
  • Blitz India Business
No Result
View All Result
World's first weekly chronicle of development news
No Result
View All Result

UK faces £28 billion defence shortfall

Air Chief reportedly told Starmer during a meeting

by Blitz India Media
January 12, 2026
in United Kingdom
0
28 billion defence shortfall
Blitz Bureau

NEW DELHI: AIR Chief Marshal Sir Richard Knighton reportedly told Prime Minister Keir Starmer that a Ministry of Defence assessment made last year showed a £28 billion shortfall between now and 2030.

Chancellor Rachel Reeves and Defence Secretary John Heeley were also at the meeting, as first reported by The Times and The Sun newspapers. The news is thought to have prompted Starmer to order an overhaul of the defence investment plan (Dip), which has been delayed after first being expected in the autumn.

A Government source said the UK is “on track” to fulfil the commitments outlined in the review. Sir Richard took over as Chief of the Defence Staff in September and is responsible for the delivery of the strategic defence review published in June, as the UK has pledged to boost defence spending to 2.5 per cent of GDP by 2027.

Chancellor Rachel Reeves and Defence Secretary John Heeley were also at the meeting

The review also set out a goal to raise spending to 3 per cent in the next Parliament “when fiscal and economic conditions allow”. The news of a shortfall comes as the UK pledged to put troops on the ground in Ukraine in the event of a ceasefire, and after UK bases and military personnel supported a US operation to seize an oil tanker in the Atlantic, said to be part of a “shadow fleet” seeking to evade sanctions on Iranian oil.

Britain and France signed a historic agreement committing to putting boots on the ground in Ukraine as soon as any ceasefire with Russia comes into effect, reported The Independent. The document, signed at a summit in Paris by French president Emmanuel Macron, Starmer and Ukraine president Volodymyr Zelensky, was hailed as “a significant step forward” in ensuring Kyiv has security guarantees that would deter a future Russian invasion.

Related Posts

UK Global Talent Visa
United Kingdom

Attracting brilliant minds

August 10, 2026
The Rice Road TO EUROPE
United Kingdom

The Rice Road TO EUROPE

August 10, 2026
Andy Burnham UK Prime Minister
United Kingdom

Change of guard

July 27, 2026
President Murmu North Macedonia
United Kingdom

Southeast Europe dynamic theatre of growth: Murmu

July 27, 2026
UK US Tariffs
United Kingdom

No effect, says UK

July 27, 2026
France Social Media Ban
United Kingdom

Social media ban for kids under 15

July 27, 2026
Load More
Next Post
MPs to get a vote on troop deployment in Ukraine

MPs to get a vote on troop deployment in Ukraine

Recent News

Seven projects worth Rs 427.80 crore were commissioned at Paradip Port on 21 August, including a Rs 352 crore deepening to 18.5 metres.
News

India Business News: Paradip Port, Mobile Scheme, Sugar, Monsoon, FDI and Forex Reserves

by Blitz India Media
August 22, 2026
0

Port and Rail Move Together on the East Coast NEW DELHI: MThe Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways commissioned an...

Read moreDetails
Madhya Pradesh Year of Youth 2027

MP declares 2027 as ‘Year of Youth’

August 21, 2026
India-Israel FTA Talks: Two More Rounds Expected by February 2027

Israel FTA talks need two more rounds

August 21, 2026
Master Plan for Delhi envisages 40 lakh affordable homes

Master Plan for Delhi envisages 40 lakh affordable homes

August 21, 2026
badminton court

Delhi Hosts the Badminton Worlds for the First Time Since 2009

August 20, 2026

Blitz Highlights

  • Special
  • Spotlight
  • Insight
  • Entertainment
  • Health

International Editions

  • US (New York)
  • UK (London)
  • Middle East (Dubai)
  • Tanzania (Africa)

Nation

  • East
  • West
  • South
  • North
  • Hindi Edition

E-paper

  • India
  • Hindi E-paper
  • Dubai E-Paper
  • USA E-Paper
  • UK-Epaper
  • Tanzania E-paper

Useful Links

  • About us
  • Team
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact

©2024 Blitz India Media -Building A New Nation

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

    No Result
    View All Result
    • Blitz Highlights
      • Special
      • Spotlight
      • Insight
      • Entertainment
      • Sports
    • Opinion
    • Legal
    • Perspective
    • Nation
      • East
      • West
      • North
      • South
    • Business & Economy
    • World
    • Hindi Edition
    • International Editions
      • Dubai
      • Tanzania
      • United Kingdom
      • USA
    • Blitz India Business

    ©2024 Blitz India Media -Building A New Nation